Saturday, February 27, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: If You Won ...



Tonight's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun finds me in front of a fire in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, contemplating the question ...

1) If you won the grand prize in the Ancestry.com Ultimate Family History Journey Sweepstakes of $20,000 for genealogy travel to places of your choice, where would you go, and what would you do?



2) Tell us of your dream genealogy trip using the prize money in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this post, or in a comment on Facebook.


Okay.. I can't justify some serious bling in the name of genealogy so I begin my second favorite internet activity ... shopping for bargin air fare to the U.K. Wait! I have twenty thousand smack-olas so why am I looking at flying coach? I'm not sure I can totally justify the cost of upgrade to Business Class but having the extra leg room on my flight from Chicago to London is much appreciated.


After enjoying a traditional first night in London meal at Cafe Uno near Carnaby Street, I head off to East Anglia and research on my Clarke family line. While I am there, I will enjoy time spent at Bury St Edmonds, the site of RAF Rattlesden Airfield.  Originally designated as a satellite for RAF Bury St. Edmunds during WWII, the airfield was assigned to the 3rd Bomb Wing which controlled most of the USAAF assigned airfields in Suffolk. In June 1943 it was decided that the airfield was suited for B-26 and finally the 447th Bombardment Group (Heavy) of the Eighth Air Force. The crew that included my uncle Lee Bergeron was among the first of 447th B-17 Flying Fortresses that arrived at Rattlesden from America.


From East Anglia, I will head up to Lancashire and spent time researching my Hornby and Howard family lines. Then up to Rochdale for Jones family research before my U.K. research quest continues north looking for the elusive Armstrong family lines.


Back on American soil my traveling companion (Mom) and I make a road trip to Pennsylvania for research in Clarion and Luzerne counties. As long as we are in the neighborhood, we will certainly spend an afternoon at Space Farm and Zoo; founded by a descendant of Peter Space, the brother of the progenitor of my Space line, John.


This is truly a dream come true ... wait. What?? You mean this isn't really my moment in the sun and only a dream?


Really ... don't bother waking me up.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails