Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories 2010 - Dec 14 Fruitcake


Did you like fruitcake? Did your family receive fruitcakes?
Have you ever re-gifted fruitcake?
Have you ever devised creative uses for fruitcake?



Fruitcake. Was your first reaction to shutter, swallow hard and think, "no way." I confess to being a johnny-come-lately fruitcake-er.

I recall my family receiving Fruitcake as a gift, probably around 1963. I don't know what happened to the alleged Fruitcake but a call to my mother might be in order!

As mentioned in the December 2nd Holiday Foods post, for a number of years I thought my mother's Fruit Bread, which was a holiday tradition, was Fruitcake.

December 2nd posting left me wondering about my Mom's Fruit Bread Christmas tradition and following some good old-fashioned detective work, I found the recipe. Maybe you'll join me in a new - or renewed - Christmas tradition.

Fruit Bread
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 beaten eggs
1 cup milk
3 Tbsp. salad oil

  *   *   *   *
1/4 cup diced candied citron
1/4 cup dried currants
2 Tbsp. finely diced candied cherries
2 Tbsp. diced candied lemon peel
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Combine eggs, milk and salad oil; add to flour mixture, beating well (about 1/2 minute). Stir in fruits and nuts.

Turn into greased 9x50x-inch loaf pan. Bake in 350 degree oven about 50 minutes or till done. Remove from pan and cool on rack. Wrap and store overnight.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails