Thursday, February 17, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History: Week 7: Toys

As a girl growing up in the 1950's and 60's, some of my fondest memories center around playing Barbie's with my friends. No matter where we lived, I could always count on finding common ground as the "new girl in the neighborhood" thanks to Barbie and Ken. Packing up Barbie and Ken in my white Barbie trunk and heading off to a friends house for the afternoon helped me fit into a new community, making new friends with Barbie as the mediator. 


I recall having one of the early Barbie dolls: blond hair in a pony tail with a black & white zebra striped swim suit, open toed shoes (never to be seen again) and sunglasses. Later on, I received a Barbie that came with three wigs: blond, dark brown and red. While I still have this Barbie, sadly, only one of her wigs remained with the doll.


When I was younger my most treasured Barbie outfit (beside the wedding dress) was the ice pink satin gown that came accessorized with a faux fur stole, opera length white gloves and, as I recall, a white pearl choker. 


But after forty-plus years, I am thankful to have one of the outfits lovingly made by my Grandma Bergeron. Even after all these years, the sweater and pants fit Barbie like a glove and if I do say so myself, she is stunning as she prepares to head down to the fire pit after an day on the slopes. 


I don't know how she does it - she doesn't look a day over 19.




Copyright (c) 2011 Cindy Bergeron Scherwinski

2 comments:

Cher' Shots said...

I would love to know her secret on keeping her youthful shape! Loved this post - it bought back a lot of fun memories. And now my granddaughters are making some memories of their own.
'love & hugs from afar'

Greta Koehl said...

What talent your grandmother had! My grandmother made clothes for my Barbie, too; wish I still had them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails